“ Choose today whom you will serve. As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God

I just finished reading this book by Sheila Walsh.  It was exactly what I needed.  I am continually amazed by how God sends just what I need, when I need it.  During the last week while having conversations with different people one of the principles below have been brought up in which I had just read.  I do not count these as coincidences but divine providence.  The principle theme throughout the book is TRUST, and obviously this is a message that God is sending directly to me. 

I am constantly wondering what other people think of me and I often doubt my abilities.  I feel that others can do things much better than I can, so why would I be the one chosen to complete the task.   Sheila spoke to my heart when she said,

“There will always be those who can do things better but God chooses each of us to show what He can do.”  Pg. xvi (introduction)

Satan loves to tell us that we are the only one dealing with something so we can’t tell anyone.  We feel ashamed, embarrassed, alone, however the Bible tells us that we all deal with the same temptations.  Sheila wrote below:

“One thing that continues to surprise me is the commonality of so many of our struggles.  I still tend to assume that if I am dealing with a very negative emotion, I am the only one who feels that way.  That’s just not true.”   Pg. 27

“God’s love for us shows up more powerfully in our failures than in any of our greatest successes.”

Throughout Chapter 12 Sheila talks about Abraham and how he had to rely on trust.  As Abraham is going up the mountain with Isaac to offer him as a sacrifice to God, I imagine how hard that must have been.  I have always wondered how he did it.  How did he trust God with Isaac?  Sheila describes it this way…

“By this point in his relationship with God, Abraham knew that even if he had to stick a dagger in his own son’s heart, God would bring him back from the dead because Isaac was the son of God’s promise, and God never breaks a promise.  There was not a second’s doubt that they would both come back.”  Pg. 217

WOW- eye opening!!!

“I spent so much of my life trying to be a “good” Christian.  That seems ridiculous to me now.  I have never once seen a single sheep- and I grew up surrounded by them- trying to be a good sheep.  The many sheep I’ve seen just go wherever their shepherd takes them.  If they fall into a creek, they wait for the shepherd to get them out.  If they’re afraid of a stalking wolf, they know the shepherd has a mighty rod and staff to win any fight.  They don’t worry about where their next meal is coming from- they eat the grass at their feet, and when it’s gone, the shepherd leads them to a new pasture. That’s how our Father wants us to live right now.  He has climbed the highest mountain to get to where he’s prepared a place for us; one day the new pasture will be home.” Pg 219

Why do I worry so much about tomorrow- what this situation or that situation will entail?  If God is in it, I need not fear.

          “It doesn’t matter what assignment we are given on this earth, what matters is our heart in the midst of the assignment.  Do you see how that changes everything.” Pg. 227

http://www.sheilawalsh.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment